Facts About Paternity and Maternity Leave:
- The United States is the only developed country in the world that does not mandate employers to offer paid leave for new mothers.
- 1 in 4 women go back to work less than 2 weeks after giving birth because the vast majority of Americans (86%) have no paid leave.
- While a small minority of states has taken bold steps to ensure their residents have access to paid family leave, the majority remain without such benefits.
- Research suggests that access to maternity leave can affect breastfeeding rates and duration, reduce the risk of infant mortality, and increase the likelihood of infants receiving well-baby care and vaccinations.
- Only 12 percent of women in the private sector have access to any sort of paid maternity leave.